MRI Over and Done with!

Yesterday I had a hour-long brain MRI with contrast (dye). The MRI was due to unexplained hearing loss.

The first time I went for the MRI I had a panic attack and couldn’t go into the machine. So the ear Doc gave me a two 5 mg Valium with the instructions to take half of a pill 30 minutes before the procedure. And if that didn’t help to take the other half. And if that still wasn’t enough to go ahead and take another half pill. 

My appointment was for 8:00. I was told to show up at 7:30 to register.  I’d taken the first half pill at 6:30 to try to gauge how they would affect me. But it didn’t make any difference. So I took the other half pill at 7:00. Still no affect. At 7:35 I’m in registration. “You’re early, your appointment isn’t until 9:00,” she quips. I about had a conniption fit! Long story short the girl who phoned me with the appointment made an error. I started to panic. It was now 8:00 and the pill I’d taken was not helping. I was going to have to go into the machine in the state I was in.

I was heading to flight mode when the technician says, let me ask the patient if she is willing to swap appointments with you. (She had turned up late for her appointment: Knee MRI.) He comes back and says, she gave her okay. So, I took the second pill whole hoping it would at least take the edge off the anxiety.

As I got on the table a calming peace settled over me. The technician put the IV needle (for the Dye) into the back of my hand. He then snapped the cage over my head, padded my head so it wouldn’t move, said close your eyes, and I started moving into the machine. All the fear and anxiety that had tormented me through the night disappeared. I realized that it was just the same as when I couldn’t get to sleep. I was wide awake, but had my eyes closed. I started praying for people I knew needed prayer. I had no anxiety, no mental battle, and the sick feeling in my stomach had miraculously disappeared. 45 minutes in he comes back to start the dye flowing and tells me, ‘about another 15 minutes. You okay?’ I told him I was doing fine.

And then it was over. As the technician was removing the IV he says, “be careful getting down you might feel dizzy.” I was perfectly normal. Those pills didn’t work for me. But what did work was the love of God in the power of the prayers of my family and friends. They brought me the Peace of God that passes all understanding. I put my clothes on and told Hubby, let’s go to the outlet mall! 

Ah yes, hubby! Hubby was sitting in the room with me the whole time. I couldn’t see him, and I couldn’t hear him either. The noise of the MRI is LOUD; and I’d opted not to have ear-plugs. But being a Forensic Hypnotist he was saying (before it got real loud),  “Just relax Sweetheart, I’m going to count backward to help you relax.” And he started counting backward. I Love that man! He prays for me all the time too. We spent the beautiful, sunny, warm, breezy day, at the outlet mall and had a delicious lunch at Chilli’s.

On the way out of the MRI the woman who’d given up her appointment for me was sitting on the bench. Hubby, had already thanked her, but I told her how much I appreciated her kindness and prayed a blessing over her. She had told hubby she was starving and wanted to go get something to eat so it was all good for her. 

I’ll have the results in about a week. I know they’ll be normal, but if not, I know the Love of God and the prayers of the Saints (y’all) will help me get through whatever is next. Thanks for your prayers and God bless you for your kindness to me. 


About these ads

7 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Patricia
    Apr 24, 2012 @ 17:37:33

    Good to hear the MRI is behind you and that you got through it fine. God is good!


  2. Carol Ann Hoel
    Apr 24, 2012 @ 21:14:38

    I’m praying for good results, Elizabeth. By His stripes we are healed. May whatever prompted the MRI be healed. That would be your hearing. May you hear well soon. Blessings to you…


  3. ansuyo
    Apr 25, 2012 @ 09:28:20

    I’ve never had an MRI, and I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t like one. The laying still thing is a breeze, but loud noises make me crazy. I’m glad you had peace in the midst of your anxiety. That’s what I think I would do in the same situation – pray, sing, worship. It does make a difference. Tell hubby – good job :) God cares about all things — even the timing of appointments…. Angie


  4. anniemcdonald
    Apr 27, 2012 @ 09:35:51

    well done sis hope the resilts are good xx


  5. elizabeth
    Apr 27, 2012 @ 09:43:07

    Me too :)


Not sure you should comment? Please don't be shy, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 153 other followers

%d bloggers like this: